Saturday, June 18, 2011

Neil Gunn Writing Competition

I'm thrilled to have heard that I've been awarded joint first prize in the adult poetry section of the 2010/11 Neil Gunn Writing Competition. It's a biennial competition, organised by The Highland Council and the Neil Gunn Trust and this time, the theme was 'A Wrong Turning', inspired by a quote from Gunn's Highland River - 'Our river took a wrong turning somewhere! But we haven't forgotten the source.'

The award ceremony was in Inverness last Tuesday and, sadly, I wasn't able to get there, but a lovely certificate and a very delicious prizewinning cheque arrived through the post this morning. I've entered so few poetry competitions this year - just two, I think - so I feel especially lucky to have had such good news about this one.

3 comments:

Sue Guiney said...

Fantastic! Huge congrats. xo

Elizabeth Rimmer said...

Congratulations, Susan! I entered the last one in 2009, and was commended, and the award ceremony was lovely (I got to meet Katharine Stewart, one of my heroes) so it's a shame you missed it.

Susan Richardson said...

Thank you, Sue!

And thank you, Elizabeth - congrats on your 2009 commendation! So glad you enjoyed the award ceremony. Really wish I could have gone, but my Arctic trip is imminent and there's still so much to sort/organise/set up, plus a pile of other work to finish, so it sadly wasn't possible. It sounded like a lovely occasion though.

Designed by Paramorphic Designs